One of the biggest challenges students face is managing their time effectively. However, learning how to effectively manage your academic time to get the most out of it is not impossible. Here are some great tips for getting the most out of your academic time.
Create a Calendar
The first step in effectively managing your academic time is to create a calendar that spans your entire term. You can choose whatever format works best for you and fits into your life comfortably. But, it is crucial to have a centralized place where you can write down everything you need to do. Some events to include on your calendar include:
- Assignments and due dates.
- Dates of tests.
- School activities.
- Extracurricular activities.
When everything is filled out in their appropriate places, you will easily be able to see how you have to spread your work out so you do not get overloaded and where you have extra time to spend on non-academic pursuits.
Prepare a Weekly Schedule
Once you have your entire term laid out, use that as a basis for creating a weekly schedule. When you see your work laid out one week at a time it naturally breaks it up into more manageable pieces. On Sunday night, before your school week starts, prepare your schedule for the week. This schedule should not be static. As new tasks come up, add them to the appropriate places in your schedule. Some events to include in your weekly schedule include:
- All the classes you need to attend.
- Items from your term calendar that need to be completed that week.
- Extra-curricular events going on that week.
- All planned study sessions.
- All group project meetings.
When writing these events on your weekly calendar, note the date and time each one will occur.
Create a Daily Plan
Before the school day starts, write a plan for the day based on the weekly schedule. As you go through the day, check off the items as you complete them. To create the daily plan, follow these steps:
- Write down everything from the weekly schedule that needs to be done.
- Write down tasks from the previous day that did not get done.
- Write down extracurricular activities or other events that need to get done that day.
Other Tips for Managing Time
Some other tips for managing your academic time include:
- Prioritize your assignments.
- Find a dedicated study space.
- Create blocks of study time.
- Schedule activities for after your schoolwork is done.
- Use helpful resources.
- Join a study group.
- Treat yourself well by getting exercise, eating right and sleeping well.
- Be flexible.
Having effective and efficient study skills is an integral part of being a successful student. If you have questions about how to manage your time or if you need help taking that first step, contact mAke the grAde today.